Thursday, March 6, 2014

Life Size






There are many reasons why I love being a teacher. One of the many reasons I love the most is at times I get to go back and be a kid with them. I'm the teacher that plays dress up with them. Most of the time in my room we will wear costumes and act out the book. 

Tonight was a night that I was able to back to my childhood. My mom gave me all of my Barbies when I moved out over 5 years ago. I had put them away. However, tonight when Rain, my stepsister's daughter, was playing with her own Barbies and Hunter's Barbies I couldn't resist playing along with her. I put batteries in everything that needed batteries. My other cousin, Carolina, joined us with her Barbies. 

I was able to show Rain my Barbie magazines. She was fascinated. She was also intrigued at the clothes of some of my Barbies. Some of mine had been handed down from cousins like Hunter's had been as well. So there was some 80's styling going on with the Barbies. Rain loved it. She thought it was so cool at the big chested Barbies and how all of my Ken Barbies looked the same. 

We spent more than hour playing with Rain. She loved that we playing with her. Playing with little ones remind how innocent I once was in my life. I let her keep two outfits because she loved them so much. She was content with playing on her own but loved it when we played with her. I believe I may have to over there play with her more often. I believe it did me and her both some good. 

I know Barbie has been ridiculed in the past. However, in a child's mind there is a good Barbie and bad Barbie regardless. Barbie helps imagination and that is more important. So instead of trying of trying to normalize Barbie. Remember it's okay to dream because you once stop dreaming life doesn't have a lot of meaning.


No comments:

Post a Comment