Saturday, June 28, 2014

Milk on the Go



A month ago Frankie and I discussed what rooms to turn into a playroom and nursery. Three weeks ago I was planning to have children next year. Two weeks ago my heart found my child. This week? I hold my daughter in my arms.

True, life comes with unexpected turns. But most of all? My daughter is breastfed. I haven't had milk in my breasts for five years since I had my own daughter.

I began research and listening to doctors about breastfeeding. My fiance, Frankie, and I did a lot of talking to family members and friends about breastfeeding. Many of our friends and family are breastfeeding or have. I went to my mother who breastfed but also is a retired pediatrician. She helped me get my head together and also start.

Massages and suctions on a schedule were how I started. I pretty much was reading about the condition my daughter has while I was massaging my breasts. My mom ordered me domperidone from New Zealand, I believe. I have not really been on that. I have been working with herbs and vitamins and that is working just fine at the moment building up my breasts. I also have a zStarter Supplemental Nursing SystemSupplemental Nursing System™ (SNS™) and Symphony® Breastpump.

Push and shove things started happening and I have Eloise already. She nurses when she first wakes up, lunch and at night. I make very, very little milk at this point in time and she is on donated breast milk. I have had several people tell me to put her on formula but a very low formula. We may try that at lunch in the near future until my milk comes in fully.

The only problems we have faced so far have been easily fixable. One problem was sliding the supplemental tubing in her mouth while she is latched onto me. We got over that one real quick. She became used to it faster than I thought she would. With her having EB nutrients are a big deal and breast milk has a lot of benefits for her over formula. The second problem was my back. I didn't really want to use a nursing pillow. We were given one as a gift so I used it and it does help. What I had to learn quickly was that I cannot just sit however I like. I must elevate my feet to nurse comfortably for me and her.

 I love SNS system but I believe in the future while my milk is coming that I will use Lact Aid. It's a lot like it the SNS system except it's not as uncomfortable. The SNS isn't exactly uncomfortable it's just bulky bottle there. The other is a high grade bag full with the same tubes as the SNS.

What matters is that my daughter gets the nutrients she deserves. I love breastfeeding her. And as for Frankie's bonding time with her. He bonds with her while she is nursing too! When I asked him how this was the response, "I get to hold you and give you support. And as I have my head resting against yours I can stroke her cheek and see the love between our little family." Another reason why I love him.

We are planning on trying to conceive as soon as we are married in November. I am sure then I will have plenty of breast milk for all the children I have.


No comments:

Post a Comment